Frontier Squid for RHEL 9?

CVMFS Team,

Are there plans to release a RHEL9 (Rocky9) version of Frontier Squid for cache/proxy of CVMFS? Or is the plan to use standard Squid proxies on the newer OS versions?

The Frontier rpms look like they haven’t been updated in awhile, but I could be looking at the wrong location: Index of /dist/rpms/RPMS/noarch

And the instructions here only suggest support up to RHEL7: InstallSquid < Frontier < TWiki

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Perhaps @dwd can comment.

Hi Mark,

The default squid in EL9 is probably usable with CVMFS, but if you want some of the extra capabilities of frontier-squid, the frontier-squid rpms referred to from that twiki page should work on EL9. They are compiled on EL7 but the binaries are upward compatible. The twiki page did not mean to imply that it was only supported through EL7. I removed the reference to EL7 that was there to keep people from being misled.

We have held off from upgrading to squid5 because there was a known serious memory leak until the most recent version. frontier-squid is expected to be upgraded to 5.7 soon. The frontier-squid package is not in the noarch directory, it is in the x86_64 directory and it was last updated in September.

Dave

That sounds good to me, and I’ll go ahead and install the existing binaries. Thanks!

Hi all,

I’ve reinstalled one of our squids with Rocky Linux 9 and the EL7 packages install fine and basic functionality is working, but not autodiscovery. The shoal agent isn’t starting because the plugins are linked to library versions which don’t exist on EL9:

frontier-squid[33714]: [33714] Failed to execute script 'shoal-agent' due to unhandled exception!
frontier-squid[33714]: Traceback (most recent call last):
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "shoal-agent", line 19, in <module>
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 495, in exec_module
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "pika/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 495, in exec_module
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "pika/connection.py", line 13, in <module>
frontier-squid[33714]:   File "ssl.py", line 101, in <module>
frontier-squid[33714]: ImportError: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looking through the files in /usr/libexec/squid/shoal-agent/lib-dynload for unresolved dependencies returns:

libcrypto.so.10
libffi.so.6
libpython3.6m.so.1.0
libreadline.so.6
libssl.so.10

We don’t really need autodiscovery, so I’ve just switched it off.

Cheers,
Robert

Ok, thanks for reporting it. I made a ticket to fix the problem. I’m afraid we’ll need to finally stop sharing all the frontier-related rpms across all OS versions, because I can’t think of a good workaround this time like I have on all the other occasions.

Dave